The Physics Learning Center is looking for undergraduates from all majors and academic/life experiences to work as Peer Mentor Tutors (PMT) in Physics 103, 104, 207, and 208. This is a paid position that starts in the Fall of each year.
Are you interested in: Learning physics by teaching? Giving back to the community? Joining a diverse community? Apply to the Physics Learning Center!
The PLC is a diverse community dedicated to building equity and opportunity for all. We especially encourage women, racial and ethnic minorities, people with disabilities, and those with other identities underserved by STEMM and higher education to apply.
Come to our informational meeting to learn more about the program! Speak with staff and current PMTs about:
- The PMT program.
- The application process.
- What the weekly training seminars are like.
- What it’s like leading a learning team.
Date/Time: Next meeting will be in Spring 2022.
As part of the PLC, you would:
- Facilitate a Learning Team twice weekly.
- Attend weekly training sessions on both teaching technique and the relevant physics.
- Gain experience with teaching and public speaking.
- Work in partnership with a community of peers interested in developing a safe and inclusive teaching space for students as you help them learn physics.
Check out this short video overview about services we offer to students.
Thinking of applying? When you register for fall classes, keep Mon 4:30–5:25 PM and Wed 5:15–6:15 PM open for weekly meetings. If this is not possible, please contact us ASAP.
How to Apply
Submit the following by Wednesday, April 7 (later is fine, but let us know):
- An application cover sheet.
- A transcript (unofficial is fine).
- A current résumé.
- A brief letter describing your interest (1/2–1 page).