Peer Mentor Tutor Program Opportunity
The Physics Learning Center is looking for undergraduates from all majors and academic/life experiences to work as Peer Mentor Tutors (PMT) in Physics 103, 104, 207, and 208. This is a paid position that starts in the Fall of each year. If you are interested in applying for upcoming semesters, please contact us.
Are you interested in: Learning physics by teaching? Giving back to the community? Joining a diverse community? Apply to the Physics Learning Center!
The PLC is a diverse community dedicated to building equity and opportunity for all. We especially encourage women, racial and ethnic minorities, people with disabilities, and those with other identities underserved by STEMM and higher education to apply.
Interested in Learning more about the position?
Join us for an informational meeting to be held via zoom on Monday, March 27, starting at 7:00 PM. During the meeting you will learn more about the program, get a chance to ask questions, and meet current Peer Mentor Tutors. If you plan to attend, please email us at email@example.com so we can send you the zoom link.
You might be a future PMT if:
- You participated in the PLC as a student. Your experiences in physics and the challenges it poses are invaluable.
- You have some tutoring experience but you’d like to learn some more group-based active-learning techniques.
- You are doing well in physics and you would love to learn new ways of explaining concepts and doing problems.
We are looking for people who:
- Are interested in fostering and promoting the values of diversity and inclusion.
- Have had a college-level introductory physics course at UW-Madison or elsewhere (e.g., 104, 208, 202, 248).
What past PMTs have said about the program:
- It’s improved my social skills, my ability to explain clearly & concisely, to think on my feet.
- I better understand how students learn physics, and how to facilitate active, peer to peer learning.
- A real sense of community and support from the staff, other PMTs, and students.
Check out this short video overview about services we offer to students.
Thinking of applying? When you register for fall classes, keep Mon 4:30–5:25 PM and Wed 5:15–6:15 PM open for weekly meetings. If this is not possible, please contact us ASAP.
How to Apply
If you are interested in joining us, please contact us and we will send you the application cover sheet. Complete application materials include:
- The application cover sheet.
- A transcript (unofficial is fine).
- A current résumé.
- A brief letter describing your interest (1/2–1 page).